The Vampire Diaries '
Elena Gilbert was born on June 22, 1992 in Mystic Falls, Virginia, to John Gilbert and Isobel Flemming, who fled a few days after giving birth. John Gilbert's brother, Grayson and his wife Miranda Gilbert adopted the abandoned baby girl. Because Grayson was a doctor, he was able to tamper with the birth records, making himself and Miranda appear as Elena's biological parents on her birth certificate. If anyone ever became suspicius, Grayson and Miranda had the birth certificate for corroboration. Elena later learned that she was a descendant of Katherine Pierce, the vampire that caused the feud between Damon and Stefan Salvatore back in 1864 and turned both men into vampires. In sophomore year, Elena was dating Matt Donovan, her oldest friend with whom she had formerly shared a crib with. At a bonfire, the two of them got into an argument where, afterwards, she called her parents to pick her up. There she met Damon who confused her with Katherine, not yet knowing of doppelgängers. After talking, Damon compelled her to forget him. Elena's parents turned up to take her home in their car, and she then had no recollection of meeting him. After leaving with her parents, their car unexpectedly drove off of Wickery Bridge. Elena somehow miraculously ended up in the hospital, alive, whilst her parents died. It was later revealed that Stefan arrived at the scene during one of his visits to Zach and, after hearing the events, he tried to save Grayson, who was still conscious, but he told Stefan to save Elena first. Stefan therefore took Elena to safety and she survived the accident, but unfortunately, her adoptive parents died before Stefan could save them, too. It was later revealed that John, her supposed uncle, was actually her biological father due to a relationship with Isobel in their teenage years.
For more information on Arc 1, Season 1 (which is basically Season 1 off the actual show) go here.
For more information on Arc 1, Season 2 (which is basically Season 2 off the actual show) go here .
For more information on Arc 1, Season 3 (which is basically Season 3 off the actual show) go here .
First 14 Episodes
For more information on Arc 1, Season 4 (which is basically Season 4 off the actual show) go here .
Final 9 Episodes
Season 1(Season 5)
As a vampire, it is assumed that Elena will be a "good" or moral vampire, similar to Stefan Salvatore, Caroline Forbes, Elijah Mikaelson or Lexi Branson. Elena's personality is heightened due to her immortality. Since waking up from drowning in Matt's four wheel drive truck in the same lake that her parents died in, she successfully transitioned into a vampire. She stopped Damon from killing Matt, to seek revenge (due to Damon didn't want Elena to be like him). Elena remembered all of the things that Damon had compelled her to forget. She’s warm, compassionate, caring, empathetic, kind, protective, smart, friendly and easy to get along with; all of her basic personality traits have been heightened and magnified due to her vampirism. In terms of her personality, Elena is the opposite of Katherine. Whereas Katherine wanted vampirism, Elena never wanted vampirism and wanted to stay human. Like Stefan, Elena was turned into a vampire against her will and by accident. She has also become much stronger physically due to her standard vampire abilities. Stefan had recalled that as Elena's Achilles heel as she settles into her transition as being a vampire, she has to go through "vampire puberty" as they call it. In terms of blood consumption, Elena seems to want prefer an animal blood diet (like Stefan) over drinking human blood bags (like Caroline) or feeding directly from humans (like Damon). Elena's vampire personality has just begun to be revealed, therefore, there is still more to learn about Elena's vampire personality and more to be revealed later in the series. Damon, who is a reckless, spirited, wild, vampire without a care in the world is going to be a very alluring (but dangerous) influence for the reckless, impulsive side of newborn vampire Elena, and there will be not one but several moments in the first few episodes that will have Elena walking a little bit too close to the fire in regards to feeding and her blood lust. As she spends more time with Damon, she will be leaning more towards his way of feeding, much to Stefan's and everyone else's strong disapproval. Elena is still going to grapple with her choice, though. Now that Elena is a vampire, her feelings are magnified, including her feelings for Damon, and they're much harder for her to ignore and push aside wich leads to her break up with Stefan and her starting a relationship with Damon. She's hungry, she's anxious, she's unpredictable, she's confused, she's angry, she's changing. As she's learning to live as a vampire, she'll find that she has more in common with Damon than she does with Stefan, and that scares her, but it also makes things more exciting and opens her eyes a bit and let's her see that Damon isn't that bad after all. When her brother Jeremy died Elena was in denial to believe that he was dead. When she realized that he is not going to come back she broke into tears. Damon hugged her and tried to calmed down her but he failed. She couldn't make it through with all this pain so he used the sire bond and told her to switch off her humanity which she did. Elena turning off her humanity will still make her more like Damon. Elena is in a new happy place with this whole evil gig and it’ll be tough to bring her back from it. It very difficult to bring her back from this place that she finds herself in, which ironically, in spite of it being relatively emotionless, is actually her new happy place because it is a place with no pain, no guilt, no suffering and no extremes other than just an appreciation for life as a vampire and a desire to feed. Elena is more blunt and honest and, “It is what it is, and I am what I am and want what I want. And right now I would like to feed on that girl over there. And I resent you for trying to stop me.” Elena is just more direct about getting exactly what it is that she wants.
Powers and Abilities
Some of these powers are more potent when the vampire gets older and feeds on human blood.
- Super Strength - Vampires are much stronger than humans and grow stronger with time. Even new vampires who are still in transition can toss a fully grown human across a room with great speed and force. Their strength is also more powerful then werewolves that are not in wolf form.
- Super Speed - Vampires can accelerate their movements to cover short ristances in an instant, faster than the human eye can see. When running across long distances, they appear as vibrating blurs of motion.
- Emotional Control - Like all vampires, Elena has the ability to switch off her humanity.Dream Manipulation - Vampires can control dreams and subconscious. The vampires can produce and modify dreams, bestow nightmares or lucid dreaming. Other effects of this ability is the distortion of reality and trapped in the dreams.
- Heightened Senses - They can hear whispered conversations, even ones in far off buildings, smell blood, and see in total darkness.
- Mind Compulsion - Vampires have the ability to control minds, plague people's dreams, and alter/erase human memories.
- Immortality - A vampire stops aging once turned. Upon their transformation, vampires then on become immune to all conventional illness, disease, virus and infection. The only known disease or infection that can kill a vampire is a werewolf bite.
- Healing Factor - Vampires can snap their finger bones back into place after being broken and have been seen to fully recover from gunshots, stab wounds, and torso impalement.
- Lapis Lazuli - She possesses a Lapis Lazuli ring that enables her to walk in daylight without being harmed.
- Vervain: When ingested, vervain causes a vampire to become severely weak and feverish. Also, If a vampire's skin is exposed to vervain, it can result in burning them. Wood: If a vampire is wounded by wood it will cause the vampire to become severely weak and if a vampire takes a wooden stake through its heart it will result in death.
- Fire or Sunlight: Any exposure to fire or sunlight will result in death to a vampire.
- Heart Extraction: The act of removing a vampire's heart will result in death.Werewolf Bite: The bite of a werewolf is extremely lethal to normal vampires.
- Magic: Witches are able to give supernatural aneurysms that cause the blood vessels ofvampires to explode.
- Decapitation:The act of dismembering or removing the head of a vampire will result in death.
- Uninvited Invitation: Vampires cannot enter a house without being invited in. If they are in the house without being invited in they will become disoriented.
- Vampire bloodline: Vampires who were turned by an original who turned others will die if the original is staked by the white oak stake.
- Werewolf Venom: It is lethal to vampires if it is ingested. If ingested, a vampire will start to feel sick and start hallucinating, normally of their biggest fears.
- Sire Bond: Elena is sired to Damon because she had feelings for him before she was turned, so will do anything Damon tells her.
- Hunter's Curse: If a vampire kills a member of The Brotherhood of the Five then they will be tormented for decades until they kill themselves, or until the curse wears off.